Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Chinese lesson

Hello everyone,

Today went by very fast. I went to the orphanage but Janet's trip to the park got rained out. We have not seen the sun in 6 days.

The orphanage was actually very nice. It's a new building just finished last year. The facility was clean, well decorated and seemed to have most of the needs covered. I met one of the nannies that cared for Faith and saw where and how she lived while there. We also had the chance to meet the orphanage director and ask him questions. I left feeling a bit relieved at the care Faith received but extremely unsettled about all the children still there. The baby room was already filled with infant girls. The director said they would find families for those girls but the boys down stairs were mostly special needs children and it was unlikely they would find families.
What do you do with that....... I know we can't do anything right now but just leaving and acting like they don't exist, that can't be right either. The problem with opening your eyes is sometimes you don't like what you see. There will be a lot of praying going on over the next year.
Sorry, about that....

I did have a laugh today however. While asking our tour guide why every time I said thank you in Chinese to the young ladies working in the shops they all giggle.... loudly. He said I don't know how do you say it? So I said it. "No, say it this way" he says. So I said it that way. "No, say it this way" he says. So I said it that way. "NO, say it THIS way" he says. So I said it THIS way. "NO, SAY IT THIS WAY" he says. So I SAID IT THIS WAY. "I give up, their just going to giggle......." he says.

So I'm wondering what other words I'm mispronouncing. "BaBa" means daddy. So to Faith I've been calling myself BaBa. Well baba also means poop. Like "go poopy now". Daddy is BaBa with the ascent on the B while poop is baba with the "a" floating a little. So basically I've been calling myself poopy daddy for the last few days. And I was wondering why she hasn't been coming to me lately............

I was very intimidated about speaking Chinese for a few minutes then I remembered I don't speak English very well either; so giggle away girls, I'm glad to provide the entertainment.
Honestly, the young ladies do giggle but very sweetly and even try to teach me other words. The hospitality here is incredible.

By for now,

BaBa :)

3 comments:

cdrosenbalm said...

Another great blog from you Tim. I cannot imagine leaving the orphanage and wondering what will happen to all those children. Overwhelming I am sure. So many new names to call you. Hong Kong Tim, Poopy DaDa.

Love,
Denise and Charles

Margaret Stalcup said...

Tim, you are just too funny! But a word of encouragement. Everytime you think about the fact that you are saying "Thank you" in Chinese incorrectly just imagine David trying to say "Ni Hao" with his heavy southern accent - Our bus driver in Beijing laughed everytime. Take care and love you guys, Margaret, David & LoriBeth.

P.S. We had a lovely dinner last night after gymnastics with your Mom and Sister.

Marsha said...

Tim, you better look out! You've just loaded me with ammo for some fun at church!